The 1920 Festival was mentioned in our minutes for the first time in
December 1917. Our Provincial Grand Master was to preside - it
was for the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution - and our support was asked
for, with gratifying results. Another fund was supported at this
time on behalf of those brethren who were interned in Germany.
The only reference to our Jubilee is in a letter from Worshipful Brother
Smeeth apologising for absence from that meeting. The war was at
its height, which may be the reason. The Deputy Provincial Grand
Master, Worshipful Brother John White visited the Lodge in 1919 and 1921 -
always a welcome visitor.
An interesting use of the working tools was made when H.R.H Prince Arthur
of Connaught laid the foundation stone of the Dover Patrol Memorial at St.
Margaret's Bay. Our level was used by him in the Ceremony and a
note to that effect was subsequently engraved on the level.
The Masonic Million Memorial Fund for providing a central home for
Freemasonry and for commemorating the many Masons who gave their lives
during the war, was the subject of an appeal by the Grand Master in April
1920. London led the response and enthusiasm gradually grew in
the Provinces. Our magnificent premises in Great Queen Street is
the result. To celebrate the return of peace a special meeting of
Grand Lodge was held on Friday 27th June 1920 at the Royal Albert Hall.
The value of money was declining and in 1920 we had to raise out
initiation fee from 7 to 9 guineas. So far as one can see this
did not affect the flow of candidates. Emergency meetings were
Modesty almost precludes mention of the unfailing charitable attitude of
the Lodge, particularly towards the widows and fatherless
children. No deserving case was ever turned down and our minutes
frequently record the gratitude of the recipients. At the
instigation of Worshipful Brother Sydney Ernest Board, a Life Subscribing
Society was formed in connection with the Lodge of Instruction in March
1922. This was to enable members to obtain life votes in the
Masonic Institutions. Later, in 1924, a benevolent association
was formed in connection with the Lodge, the Chapter and Lodge of
The years following World War I saw much masonic activity. Our
Lodge had an irresistible attraction for schoolmasters, many of whom have
occupied the Chair. The names of Everett, Whitehouse, Cooke,
Burgess, Morrell, Twyman, Horrex and later Baxter, Langley, Wellden,
Francis, Monks, Kendall and Brooshooft spring to mind.
Appeals for money were many. We supported the Million Memorial
Appeal and promised to become a founding lodge of the projected Masonic
Hospital. We also supported the Lord Mayor's relief fund in
connection with the disaster in Japan and made generous donation to the
Dover War Memorial Fund. We even sent a contribution to the
Restoration Fund of St. Paul's Cathedral.
In 1925 Worshipful Brother Edward Mowll Worsfold resigned his office of
Charity Representative after 12 years service. He received the
thanks of the Lodge and was succeeded by Worshipful Brother Herbert Richard
Geddes. Worshipful Brother Smeeth was ill this year and at the
Installation meeting a message of remembrance was sent to him congratulating
him on the 57th anniversary of his initiation.